Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Girl In The Hallway


“Thanks, you know, for not letting me get trampled. I, uh, need to get to class.” Smooth, I was not. I was just trying to get out in one piece before he laughed in my silly sophomore face or, god forbid, made a comment about the dopey staring I was sure he had noticed. It didn’t help that I was dressed in the new clothes Allison had “helped” me pick out. I felt so uncomfortable in them, almost like I was naked. As I started to make a b-line toward anywhere there wasn’t a cute boy I’d made a fool of myself in front of, that hand was there again. That knee melting smile was still on his face and I’m sure my face was redder than a strawberry.
“When one stops a near tragic hallway trampling, it’s customary for the savior to make sure the victim is alright and, if she’s as cute as you are, it’s also expected to find out her name.”
I stood in shock for a moment before I closed my mouth and swallowed. “Annie. Annie... uh.. Williams.”
He dug his hands into his pockets, looking amused at my timid response. “Well, Annie Uh Williams, I’m Oliver Kent.”
“Oh, I know.” It came out of my mouth before I could stop myself and I felt my eyes widen in horror.
I saw the corner of his mouth twitch slightly. “My reputation as the hallway hero precedes me then? This wasn’t a clever ruse to meet me was it? That would be flattering, but definitely put a cramp in the whole hero, damsel in distress thing I was going for before asking you out.”
“Oh no, I promise the almost squished into oblivion thing was very m-” My brain then caught up with my mouth. “Ask me out?”
His mouth twitched again before he gave me a heart stopping toothy grin, “Oh you caught that did you. Well I guess now I better follow through. How about Friday? Pizza, a movie, a complete lack of near tramplings.”
“Me, movie....pizza?” I’m sure he was dazzled by my wit by this point. Trying to relieve some of the building tension, I started to laugh. To my despair, it came out a sharp giggle that made me wince and quiet instantly. His smile just grew wider.
“How about this,” he reached into his pocket and pulled out a cellphone, holding it out to me, “Put in your number, I’ll call you tonight and ask you out all over again. Maybe then you’ll have a stronger opinion on the whole movie, pizza thing.”

1 comment: